You asked and I’m so happy to have Mary Flo Ridley and Megan Michelson back to coach us on how to talk with our kids about the topic of sex. I love their approach which is explained in their online course called Birds and Bees. It’s all about having multiple conversations over the years with your kids instead of having one big TALK when they are older.
What we want parents to do with the topic of sex is to not be afraid and be silenced, but to be equipped and have tools and phrases to say an age appropriate ways … They’re drip by drip, by drip conversations, because it takes a lot for them to absorb this information.
Mary Flo and Megan take us through reasons why we should have conversations with our youngest kids about reproduction, birth and specific scientific terms for private areas. We chat about how to bring these topics up and answer questions that might make you nervous at first. It’s all about giving your kids accurate and honest information on this important topic.
I know when parents first hear about this they think, ‘I didn’t want to talk to my kids about sex one time, why in the world, but I want to do this multiple times?’ But it’s just so much easier to do it in bite size, age-appropriate phrases and conversations and soundbites because that’s how things are digested and absorbed.
Connect with Birds and Bees:
- Website: https://birds-bees.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/birdsbeeshelpplease
- Instagram: @birds__bees
Previous Podcasts with Birds & Bees:
- Ep 25: Birds and Bees? Oh, help me please :: Mary Flo Ridley
- BONUS: When to Have “The Talk” :: Mary Flo Ridley
- Ep. 153 Birds and Bees (Continuing the Conversation) :: Mary Flo Ridley and Megan Michelson
- Ep 243: Preparing Now for Future Puberty and Masturbation Questions :: Megan Michelson and Mary Flo Ridley
- StoryWorth —Give your dad the most meaningful gift this Father’s Day with StoryWorth. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to StoryWorth.com/DMA to get $10 off your first purchase.
- HelloFresh —Go to HelloFresh.com/dma12 and use the code: dma12 to get 12 free meals, including free shipping.