Understanding Boys Better :: David Thomas [Ep 315]
Understanding the emotions of boys is a challenge no matter the age. Anxiety that presents as anger or distraction. Depression shows up as low-grade irritability. David Thomas returns to the show to answer listener questions about all things boy.
David is a family therapist and director at DayStar Counseling Center in Nashville. He has lots of experience counseling families and children and has a set of twin boys himself. We talk about teaching our sons about emotional language, going to counseling, helping sibling relationships, and managing boy energy levels.
I think we need to be clear with boys. I think it’s always helpful to use concrete language with them. When we’re concise, clear, and concrete, those are kind of three rules of thumb, we can consistently be adopting. The mistake that I think we can make is we kind of soft pedal and dance around things.
If you are a parent of boys, this is an episode for you! Watch for a bonus episode coming out later this week too.
Connect with David:
- Website: raisingboysandgirls.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/raisingboysandgirls
- Instagram: @raisingboysandgirls
- Ep 119 The Art of Nurturing Boys :: David Thomas
- Ep 160 Emotional Milestones :: Sissy Goff & David Thomas
- BOOK: Are My Kids on Track? by Sissy Goff & David Thomas
- Ep 260 The Window of Tolerance :: Charissa Fry
- BOOK: Best Friends, Worst Enemies by Michael Thompson
- BOOK: Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David Thomas
- Movies & Books Highlights from Raising Boys & Girls
- MOVIE: Just Mercy
- BOOK: Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain
- BOOK: Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverted Kids by Susan Cain