My guest Jackie and her husband David always thought they would foster and maybe adopt. After starting a family of their own, fostering siblings for a time and having twins, a viral photo of a malnourished orphan in Ukraine changed everything.
As Jackie and her family prayed for the boy to be adopted and cared for, God spoke to her heart.
There were plenty of reasons that we could come up with, but no real reason that seemed good enough to say ‘no’ to it. So we committed to adopting him. We didn’t even know what country he was from to start with people. God just said, that’s your son.
After committing to their first adoption, another boy in Ukraine in a similar situation came to their attention. He was soon to “age out” of the adoption system and was desperate for a family. Again, Jackie and her family prayed and again God called them to adopt.
Listen to the episode to learn more of Jackie’s story and all that God has done from them simply saying “Yes” to this assignment outside of her own strength. Another reminder not to overcomplicate motherhood, to watch how kids can flourish with love and care.
Here are side-by-side pics of Miles and Jonah from the day of adoption, to 1 year and 2 year anniversaries.
Connect with Jackie:
- Instagram: @askvigsadopt
- Reece’s Rainbow
- Joy in Obedience: Adopting the Little Boy in the Pink Shirt
- The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis
- TBRI: Trust-Based Relational Intervention®
- Fostering Together
- Promise686 Care Communities
- Function of Beauty — Go to FunctionofBeauty.com/DMA to take your quiz and save 20% off your first order. Applies to their full range of customized hair, skin and body products.
- Hello Bello — Go to HelloBello.com/DMA to get 25% off your diaper bundle order and 15% off any add-ons like vitamins or wipes.