Worth Repeating // Kirk Martin (Calm Parenting)
I love Kirk’s realistic approach to parenting. He understands what your home dynamics are like. And gives practical tips. After listening to today’s episode you will have at least three different “tricks” to apply.
Most of all, I’m thankful for the new perspective he has given me. Kirk helped me recognize how emotionally invested I was in my boys’ behavior and freed me from the need to regulate their behavior for them.
The last couple days I’ve enjoyed the boys more. I’m also less tense and frustrated when we are out in public. In fact, I may need to go back and listen to this episode more than once, so it sticks!
This episode originally aired in May of 2015
What we chat about:
- Kirk’s realization that he needed to focus on his own behavior and stop trying to fix his son’s strong-willed behavior.
- The switch he made from training 1500 kids in his home to training parents to calm themselves.
- The one thing you can do today to de-escalate a tense situation in your home.
- How to calmly handle your child’s meltdown
I can only control one person in life, and that’s me.
- How motion changes emotion–helping little ones calm down b/c they don’t know how to “think” their way out.
- What to do in the middle of Target aisle 3 when your child freaks out
- Handling a tantruming child when his siblings are fighting and another needs help with homework and dinner is cooking (Heather’s daily 5 pm reality).
If you don’t care enough about yourself, to take care of yourself physically, emotionally, spiritually. . .why would anyone else care?
- How sometimes parents want good behavior so badly, they are too invested in it and give children too much control.
- How to be an impartial giver of wisdom.
- Write down your emotional triggers & do the opposite of what you normally do.
Connect with Kirk:
- 888-506-1871–Toll Free Number for Frustrated Parents
- For Additional Don’t Mom Alone Episodes with Kirk, Click HERE
Become a DMA Insider! Join Bruce and I in 2021 to explore StrengthsFinder. We’ll talk about what it is and how it helps your marriage, parenting and career. Join today!