You know who is coming to town. The big man in the red suit is everywhere this time of year and each of us grew up with different traditions on how to engage with and celebrate Santa.
My assistant Sarah-Jane and I chat about what it was like for each of us growing up with and without Santa and how we acknowledge the jolly yuletide figure with our kids without taking the focus off Jesus.
Sarah-Jane shares how her family adopted a separate holiday in December, Saint Nicholas Day, and I talk about playing the “Santa Game” with my kids. Wherever you fall on the “Santa spectrum,” we hope this conversation gives you grace to celebrate Christmas with your family with or without Santa being a major part (and give that same grace to others).
Isn’t it so great that God doesn’t work the same way as Santa? It’s because we’re so naughty that we got the gift of Jesus. It’s the opposite. So I would, as a teaching moment to reemphasize the glorious grace of Jesus. Instead of thinking, I can’t do Santa because it takes away from the grace of Jesus, the good news is we have a different option.
- Saint Nicholas Center
- Veggietales- Saint Nicolas: A Story of Joyful Giving
- Using Santa to Teach Grace [BLOG POST]
- Buck Denver: Who is Santa Claus?
- Light ‘Em Up
- The Star from Afar
- The Shepherd on the Search
- Skylight Frames –get $10 off your purchase of a Skylight Frame when you go to SkylightFrame.com and enter code DMA.
- Story Worth — Give your loved ones the gift of spending time together, wherever you live, with StoryWorth. Get started right away with no shipping required by going to StoryWorth.com/dma. You’ll get $10 off your first purchase!
- PrepDish — Just go to Prepdish.com/shop and enter code DMA5020 at checkout to get HALF OFF meal plans (deal only lasts from Black Friday to Cyber Monday).