Week One Summer of Mentorship 2020 :: Rachel Anne Ridge
Rachel Anne Ridge is an author, professional artist, and speaker in Texas. Together with her husband Tom, she bootstrapped her way through the Great Recession, raised a family, and rediscovered her purpose in the midst of the everyday juggle of life. Her books, Flash, The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me About Life, Faith, and Second Chances, and Walking with Henry are inspired by the stray donkeys (yes, donkeys) who interrupted her juggling act and revealed how ordinary (and sometimes hilarious) events help us find our higher purposes and deeper faith. Rachel is mom to three adult children and Nana to five littles.
Little did I know when I asked Rachel to be on the podcast, that the day before our interview she wrote a viral blog post encouraging the lonely mom of older kids (click here to read it).
Her honest, yet hopeful words, are what I’m sure caused 37,000 + people on Facebook to like her words. She admits the hard parts but encourages moms to keep their eyes on the bigger purpose.
- Rachel shares personal parenting challenges and what she (and her husband) did to overcome them.
- Discover a variety of ways to get God-centered (none of which include getting up early).
- Hear Rachel’s parenting regret and advice on how to avoid it.
- Be encouraged by Rachel’s greatest parenting strength.
- For the mom of older children, listen to Rachel’s thoughts on how discipline changes during this stage to a coaching role.
- Most importantly hear the Truth of God’s great love for you and your family.
Growing Kids God’s Way: Biblical Ethics for Parenting* Rachel shares they attended training in this parenting approach. She also alludes to the fact they did not agree with all the information in this program. She shared with me later how attending the course together allowed them to get on the same page and then toss what they couldn’t use. After some research I found parents strongly divided on this training approach. If you are looking for other grace-based parent training, then here are some other resources:
- Parenting With Love And Logic (Updated and Expanded Edition) by Foster Cline & Jim Fay
- Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson
- Grace-Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman
Connect with Rachel:
- Thrive Market go to https://thrivemarket.com/dma and use DMA to get $20 of store credit.