Toni Collier’s short childhood ended in third grade when her mother had a stroke. Toni carried many heavy emotional burdens in her childhood and felt deeply that she had to protect herself because the world was not a safe place.
Fast forward several years and Toni’s strength of will to avoid the emotional trauma she experienced as a child finally ran out. Now a mom and reeling from an emotionally abusive first marriage, Toni sought counseling and therapy for the healing she so desperately needed.
I was so blind to how unhealthy my life actually was. And the unveiling, the unwrapping of this emotional onion made me worse. But there was a healed Toni that I had to get to. Not just for me, but for my daughter and my new marriage. The only thing that brought me through was the hope that there is a God who said he could trade my weakness for his power.
Toni opens up about the “treacherous” process of facing intense emotional trauma, the shame and stigma that surrounds therapy and what it’s like to parent in the midst of facing your own brokenness.
Now as a powerful communicator and host with North Point Ministries, Toni has learned that God can take our broken, painful pasts and use them to minister to others.
I hopped on stage at North Point and my entire life changed in weeks. It was the first time in a long time that I had been in a ministry that’s celebrated my gifts, wasn’t intimidated by them, and also welcomed my brokenness. It is as if I had experienced a new Jesus.
What we chat about:
- Toni’s difficult childhood and how she had to grow up quickly to take care of her mom and herself
- What led her to get help through counseling and trauma therapy
- The challenge of therapy after years of emotional trauma
- Parenting while going through intense therapy and healing
- The process of identifying her daughter’s mental and emotional struggles
- How she is working through school and behavior with her daughter
- Her new marriage and how she met her husband
Connect with Toni:
- Website: https://tonijcollier.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/tonijcollier and facebook.com/brkncrayons
- Instagram: @tonijcollier and @brkncrayons
- So Long, Insecurity: You’ve Been a Bad Friend to Us ** [BOOK]
- Broken Crayons Still Color [WEBSITE]
- North Point Ministries [WEBSITE]
Featured Sponsor : Phonics Museum
When your child enters the Phonics Museum, a learning adventure full of games, stories, and art awaits! With a clever mix of lessons, activities, games, and sing-along songs, young learners won’t get bored at Phonics Museum. Taking a “tools of learning” approach, the app helps establish a strong foundation of reading for children through a complete commitment to a phonics approach. Join Wendy, William, Percival and Miss Biddle, the museum curator on a reading adventure as they explore the Phonics Museum, sing songs, and play games with the living artwork in the museum. It’s an experience you’ll never forget!
You can try the Phonics Museum today for free by signing up for the 2 Week Free Trial. Just download the app in the iOS App store (currently not available in Android)
Featured Sponsor: Kids Faith Krate
Kids Faith Krate is a monthly craft subscription box to help cultivate your child’s faith! Every month your family will receive a new box (or Krate as they call them) filled with weekly family Bible lessons and coordinating crafts. Kids Faith Krate provides convenience, fun, and gives direction in family discipleship. Their Krates target ages 4-10, and there’s an option to include craft supplies for up to 3 children. Go to www.kidsfaithkrate.com (“krate” is spelled with a K) and use the code mentioned in the middle of the podcast to get $10 off any subscription!