Racial Healing Starts with You :: Latasha Morrison [Ep 261]
Racial tensions in America are as high within the church as outside of it. My guest Latasha (aka Tasha) Morrison believes Jesus followers must become the leaders in the conversation. That we must, “build a bridge” to bring justice, healing and transformation.
It starts with awareness and then acknowledging the pain and brokenness. We didn’t create it, but it is all of our responsibility to be a part of the solution. And no one gets an ‘out’ here.
Tasha founded the organization Be the Bridge in 2016 ‘to encourage racial reconciliation among all ethnicities, to promote racial unity in America, and to equip others to do the same.’ Now she’s written a book of the same name that comes out this week.
We talk in depth about racial healing, biblical justice and the diversity of God’s kingdom. It’s not an easy conversation, but it’s a necessary one. I pray you will listen with an open mind and heart for all God wants to do to bring unity to the body of Christ.
Every culture is an expression of who God is and not one ethnicity can represent the totality of who God is. We serve a diverse God. If you’re thinking that God looks just like you and talks just like you, remember, Jesus didn’t speak English. Sometimes we need a reality check on that. Just because something is different doesn’t make it wrong.
What we chat about:
- How Tasha became an advocate for racial reconciliation
- The inherent racial lines and segregation of cities that persist from Jim Crow laws
- We serve a diverse God and no one race or expression on humanity is the “right” way to be
- How lamenting and crying out to God about injustice can cause God to move
- Social justice vs biblical justice
- Defining privilege from a historical perspective and why we can’t ask others to ignore past injustice and just “move on”
- The history of racism in America pre-dates independence. The first slaves arrived 400 years ago
- Be aware of the many facets of history and who is writing the history books
- Don’t insulate your kids from people who are different from them
- Tasha invites us to: listen, learn, lament and leverage.
Connect with Tasha:
- Website: latashamorrison.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/latashamorrison
- Instagram: @latashamorrison and @beabridgebuilder
- Be the Bridge organization [WEBSITE]
- The 1619 Project [WEBSITE]
- Be the Bridge by Latasha Morrison [BOOK]
- EP 216: Help Your Children Embrace Differences [PODCAST]
- ColorFull by Dorena Williamson [BOOK]
- Book List from Tasha’s Website
- Kid President Returns — Part Two in Selma, AL
Featured Sponsor: Phonics Museum
When your child enters the Phonics Museum, a learning adventure full of games, stories, and art awaits! With a clever mix of lessons, activities, games, and sing-along songs, young learners won’t get bored at Phonics Museum. Taking a “tools of learning” approach, the app helps establish a strong foundation of reading for children through a complete commitment to a phonics approach. Join Wendy, William, Percival and Miss Biddle, the museum curator on a reading adventure as they explore the Phonics Museum, sing songs, and play games with the living artwork in the museum. It’s an experience you’ll never forget! Get a FREE two week trial when you download the app at your ios app store.