Summer of Mentorship 2019 Week 3 :: Kim Fredrickson
As a licensed marriage and family therapist and life coach, Kim Fredrickson counseled and taught others about self-compassion for years. When she received an unexpected terminal diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, a rare side-effect of the treatment she had received for breast cancer, she wrote a book to leave for her children on giving that same compassion to the grandchildren she will never meet.
On June 3rd, 2019, Kim passed on to be in the presence of her Savior. We want to honor her legacy by re-releasing this fantastic mentoring which originally aired in January of 2018.
When people feel ashamed, they blame other people because they feel like if I really look at my shame then I’m going to collapse inside. That’s why self-compassion is desperately important because kids feel shame a lot. They fail at everything at the start.
What we chat about:
- Kim’s story of receiving a devastating diagnosis after completing treatment for breast cancer
- How she’s chosen to spend the years she has left with her family
- The new book she wrote for when her children have kids called “Give Your Kids a Break: Parenting with Compassion for You and Your Children”
- How it’s a process to develop a compassionate inner voice
- Applying grace and truth to every situation in our lives
- Variety of temperaments–some that are harder on themselves than others.
- The difference between self-compassion and self-pity
- Encouraging your children to practice self-compassion and reinforcing it by showing ourselves that same
- Giving our kids the language to identify their failings and separate them from their self- worth
- Moms have a really hard job. It’s ok to acknowledge that.
- The importance of taking care of ourselves as moms
- How to talk to your kids after you’ve been hard on yourself and reframing it with self-compassion
Connect with Kim’s Legacy:
- Kristi Clover — Simply Joyful Podcast
- Give Your Kids a Break : Parenting with Compassion for You and Your Children **
- Give Yourself a Break **
- Compassionate Self-Statements and Self-Soothing Exercises (CD and download)
- Kind and Compassionate Words to Soothe Your Soul (Download)
**Amazon affiliate link, with no additional cost to you, the podcast receives a portion of your purchase.
Ever felt like you really want to plant the seeds of faith in your children’s heart but you don’t know how? You need something simple and easy that you can trust.
You are not alone. Thousands of women all over the world have felt the same and are now cultivating the hearts of their little ones with Write the Word for Kids Bible journal from Cultivate What Matters.
This month they launched a new journal: Write the Word for Kids: Fruit of the Spirit. It has everything you loved about the first Write the Word for Kids with a new theme, and including new fruit-theme stickers! Your kids will love it, too!
The Cultivate team is offering Don’t Mom Alone listeners an exclusive discount. Head to CultivateWhatMatters.com to order your Write the Word for Kids journal today and receive 10% off with the code DONTMOMALONE.
This year Kate Duff and her MomComm groups (DMA podcast clubs) are hosting our Live Event in Dallas. AND my featured guest is my good friend Chrystal Evans Hurst.
We’d love to see you there. Get tickets here: TICKETS