Summer Strategies :: Laura and Courtney [Ep 249]
Whether your kids are school age or not, summer typically brings a big shift to our family routine and to our mindset. Joining me today to talk through strategies to thrive this summer are Laura Hernandez and Courtney Cleveland.
We talk about systems, tips and plans for making the most of the time you have with your kids this summer. Laura even shares an acronym for how to plan with the word ENJOY. That’s right! We can absolutely enjoy the summer and these ladies have some great ideas to get you started.
It doesn’t need to be a family bucket list and it doesn’t need to be a hundred goals. It’s just a simple focused looking at your summer and saying, what do I want it to feel like? What do I want it to look like for our family? And you will reap the benefits of it.
If you’re like me and want to figure out a way to involve your kids in household jobs without the whining and complaining or make a plan for using screen time effectively, we cover it all in this chat. We also talk about summer road tips and ways to stop entitlement behavior when it rears its ugly head.
There is so much life in slowing down and spending time with our kids in the summer. Whether you are on summer number 2 or summer number 14 (like me) with your oldest, I pray that you embrace the time you have and ENJOY your summer!
What we chat about:
- Laura Hernandez, her family with nine children (and one on the way) and how she started you business called Mama Systems
- Courtney Cleveland, her family with three children and her takeaways from implementing systems in her life
- ENJOY the summer with a handy acronym from Laura
- Evaluate last summer– what was stressful? What was life giving? What did your kids enjoy?
- Note things down. Set up your calendar with the needs first and write down your big priorities and dreams from your summer.
- Jot down your kids’ dreams for the summer. Who do they want to have come over? What activities do they want to do?
- Order. Choose and order for your days, your weeks and your summer.
- You. Make a priority to take care of yourself so you can care for your people.
- Delegating household jobs to your kids– how and why it’s important
- Taking time to intentional plan your summer and prioritize blessing others vs just doing fun things and making it all about your kids
- Alarms and ticket systems to help your kids stay on task with various jobs and managing screen time
- Road trip tips from Courtney and her podcast All the Best Days
- Enjoying your summer with your kids and feeling free to take the ideas that work for you that may not be what works for others
Connect with Laura Hernandez:
- Website: https://www.mamasystems.net
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/mamasystems.net
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/mamasystems
Connect with Courtney Cleveland:
Past Summer Help Episodes:
- Mama Systems: www.mamasystems.net
- All the Best Days Podcast
- Walker Goods Duffel Bags
- “Just 18 Summers” **– A novel by Michelle Cox and Rene Gutteridge
- A review post by my friend Amanda White: Just 18 Summers.
- Jess Connolly’s Summer to Thrive
- Master Your Motherhood Summer School Series
**As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Featured Sponsor: Jelly Telly
JellyTelly knows you want to have a peaceful, fun summer with your kids…while also setting healthy boundaries around their screentime. During long summer days, your kids may feel the tug of the latest YouTube trend but as a Christian mom, you want to steer them toward shows that reflect your family’s faith and values.
The problem is: mainstream media doesn’t share your values which makes you feel frustrated with your kids’ media options and maybe even guilty about what they’re being exposed to. At JellyTelly, they know it’s hard raising Christian kids, which is why they’ve built the best streaming platform reflecting your faith and values. JellyTelly believes you should be able to trust children’s media.
How can you end the conflict over what your kids watch, feel great about what your kids are seeing, AND help them grow in their faith? Simply sign up for a free JellyTelly trial, watch videos with your kids that reflect your values (like VeggieTales, Owlegories, What’s in the Bible and many more), and then feel great about what your kids are watching.
Visit jellytelly.com and try JellyTelly for a week so you can stop feeling stressed about what your kids watch and rest easier this summer. Head to jellytelly.com to begin your free trial and start streaming!