Tommy Nelson serves as the pastor of Denton Bible Church in Denton, Texas. He’s a husband, father, best-selling author, and well-known speaker. But not too long ago he walked through an unexpected journey of depression and anxiety that stemmed from overcommitting in his job. Stretched too thin, his body and mind began to break down under the strain.
My mind couldn’t stay focused. I lost 20 pounds and got to where I couldn’t work out. I would just put myself to sleep at night on some kind of medication and then I would jolt awake in the morning and go through the day unable to relax. All I could do was pray and just try to make it through the day. It’s scary, you know, you can’t define it.
Tommy shares about his path to healing after identifying why he was feeling the effects of anxiety and depression. He also shared about the role his wife played in praying for him and keeping his faith up in the midst of the storms.
When you’re going through this the whole world is made of salt and you’re an open wound. Everything can be painful. And I remember her just laying on the bed with me and putting her arms around me… Just knowing that she was there meant so much. She would fuss at me, but in a good way, you know, she’d keep my faith up.
If you or your spouse have experienced anxiety or depression in the past, or even today, there is encouragement for you in this episode! Tommy also shares about a 4-hour teaching he has available for streaming right now online.
Click Here to buy live stream access to the conference, The Journey Through Depression and Anxiety. If you have never heard of The Hub before, it’s your best source for Bible Studies, Online Resources, and Live Christian events. You can tune in to some of the most anticipated live events of the year from the comfort of your own home or church. You can learn more at gotothehub.com under the “Live Events” tab. Check it out!”
What we chat about:
- Tommy’s backstory of overwork and his physical/mental breakdown because of it
- How proper care and medication helps level the playing field with depression and anxiety
- The importance of protecting your mornings and protecting your evenings and balancing your schedule
- How spouses can support each other when depression or anxiety strikes
- No on goes through life without stressful situations. Sometimes God uses these times in to stretch us
- How vital sleep and relaxation are for your body to restore itself
- God is not a genie. Healing takes time and trusting in God’s goodness
- Staying strong in the word and strengthening yourself in the Lord can
- Sometimes the struggle with depression and anxiety can bring you closer to God
- For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. 1 Corinthians 7:14
- Praying out loud for your spouse is powerful
Connect with Tommy:
**Amazon affiliate link. A small portion of your purchase will help produce this podcast.
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when.
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss!
Get 2 weeks of meal plans FREE! Go to Prepdish.com/dma and use coupon code: DMA
Shame whispers the lie: “You are wrong”. It holds you captive when circumstances are less than perfect. Trapped in the belief that if you were better, life would go better.
Shame squashes creativity. Inhibits us from loving fully. And, most importantly, keeps us from knowing the Truth of who God says we are.
This month I’m helping you loosen the grip of shame with a growth guide, video encouragement from author Sheila Walsh and live mentor chat with myself and a mentor (recorded on Nov 9th, replay available Dec 1st).