Gay Girl, Good God :: Jackie Hill Perry [Ep 214]
It’s an uncomfortable and often controversial subject, especially in the church, but homosexuality and same sex attraction is something we all need to understand from a Biblical perspective. This week’s guest Jackie Hill Perry shares how the power of the gospel in her life rescued her from the sin she was living in as a woman with same sex attractions.
She not only brings us into her amazing story, but absolutely preaches the word of God and brings a lot of clarity to what can feel like a gray area for many Christians.
My conscience would not allow me to shake the truth that Jesus died for sin and that he is not pleased with sin at all. So I tried my best to shake him and I couldn’t…And I felt God speak to my heart and say that my girlfriend or my sin would be the death of me. That the wages of sin equals death. Because I saw it wasn’t my girlfriend or my lesbianism alone. It was that my entire life would be the death of me.
Jackie shares stories and insights from her new book Gay Girl, Good God. She also answers listener questions about how to share God’s love with LGBTQ friends and family by treating them as a whole person and keeping the gospel centered on God’s truth and not culture’s.
What we chat about:
- Jackie’s background, home life and beginnings of same sex attraction.
- Her belief that same sex attraction is choosing sin.
- How sexual sin is a specifically addicting sin.
- God does not rank sins. Homosexuality is not better or worse than any other sin.
- Insight into black lesbian culture and false masculinity.
- How God pursued Jackie through people and circumstances and reminded her of who he made her to be.
- Jackie’s experience wrestling with the truth that the wages of sin is death.
- The power of a very close discipleship relationship when you are needing breakthrough from sin or trauma.
- The process of learning to have healthy same sex friendships.
- Dealing with temptations and how Jesus empathizes with us and gives us power to overcome sin.
- How to love LGBTQ people and pray for them, but not condone the sin.
- Evangelism needs to be God-centered and not centered on a person’s sexuality.
- Dialoguing about same sex attraction using the Bible as the explicit answer for all questions regarding it.
- Jackie’s response to gay marriage and why we are called to love God more than we love people who are living in sin.
Connect with Jackie Hill Perry:
**Amazon affiliate link to help support the production of this podcast.
Featured Sponsors: PrepDish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when.
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss!
Get 2 weeks of meal plans FREE! Go to Prepdish.com/gcm and use coupon code: GCM
Tickets are officially on sale starting today!! Friday is SOLD OUT, but tickets are still available for Saturday afternoon! Check out all the details and get your tickets HERE.
Parenting — Streaming Event 2018
Parenting is hard work, but what could be more important in your life than being one of God’s tools to form a human soul? In his brand-new streaming event, pastor and best-selling author Dr. Paul David Tripp will share four principles that can radically change the way you raise your children.
This conference has on-demand streaming access until November 30. With a Streaming License, you, your friends, or your entire church will be encouraged by biblical and practical wisdom. Your Streaming License will also include a free study guide, loaded with questions for further discussion.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.