"In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Pain is inevitable. In James we are told to "consider it all joy" when we encounter trials. James also wrote to ask God for wisdom and He will give it generously. Which I realized from a sermon this week has more to do with wisdom we gain from the challenging circumstances, not necessarily wisdom to get out of them.
But how many of us share our broken places with others? How often do we wait until the pain has passed and life is back to "normal" to share and minister to others? What if God longs for you to offer up the wisdom you are gaining in the midst of the challenge?
This week's guest is Dr. Peggy Banks (Global Ministry Director for TWR Women of Hope). I'm a big Peggy fan. Years ago she discipled me in a deeper understanding of God and His Spirit in me. She modeled how to pray intimately with my heavenly Father. She taught me all the Spirit does in and through us. She inspired me with her passion for women around the world to know the healing available through Jesus Christ.
Peggy last week at a TWR Women of Hope event with leaders from West Africa, South Africa, Mozambique and Interns from the US
In this episode Peggy shares her own painful places. A past that includes abuse. A journey of learning to trust and stop striving in performance. She encourages us to meet with Jesus daily. And what that looks like for her. Peggy encourages us to gather with others in small groups to spur each other on in our spiritual journeys. Sharing what He is doing and lifting one another up in the process.
Peggy was a minister of Spiritual formation at my church for years. And now she leads a global ministry to women, TWR Women of Hope. God is using her pain for a purpose. Every day women around the world are hearing the gospel in their own language through the power of the airwaves. As a podcaster, I'm so inspired by the work of Women of Hope and Trans World Radio.
"As a small Army-surplus transmitter went on the air in Tangier, Morocco, in early 1954, the first step had been taken toward the development the world’s largest evangelical media organization" - Trans World Radio
Such a cool idea to realize the gospel has been traveling via airways since the 50s. What a joy to join Him in the work of spreading the good news!
Connect with Peggy & TWR Women of Hope:
What we chat about:
- Peggy's hidden pain while looking perfect on the outside and performing for approval.
- The "spiritual mom" who helped Peggy get healing from the bondage and brokenness of abuse.
- Learning to vulnerably share your struggles with those you are leading.
- Advice for the listener who is in the middle of the painful place.
- What does it mean "to be with Jesus".
- Gathering together with a group to be real and share your current pain.
- How Peggy's tattoos helped her minister to a specific group of women.
- Peggy's personal mission statement: "Helping hurting women around the world helping to find hope and healing in the person of Jesus Christ."
**Amazon affiliate links
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.