Chrystal is a real life friend. And one wise woman. Since this episode went live three years ago, she’s become. . .a grandmother to two adorable kiddos! But I’ll give you a tip. . .before you call her Granny. . . Chrystal prefers the title “MMC” (aka, “Mother of the Mother of the Child” ;).
In twelve years of parenting I’ve learned a thing or two. I’ve gained confidence in my ability to handle high fevers, distinguish between a backhoe digger and a tractor, and (somewhat regularly) plan weekly meals.
But most days I feel just as clueless as my first day home from the hospital. When I sat on the closet floor cried buckets while cradling a screaming newborn. And had no idea how to stop either of our tears.
These days it’s sibling arguments I fear may rival world wars. Or strong wills that no military force could conquer. Or the noise, chaos and never-ending mess that leave me feeling like a pair of dirty socks in the spin cycle.
But I have one strategy that always helps. . .
Asking moms who’ve gone before me for perspective. Showing me what matters and what doesn’t. Helping me navigate these days with faith and grace.
On today’s podcast I’ve invited Chrystal Evans Hurst, mom to five to fill our mom hearts with nuggets of truth and wisdom.
What we talked about:
- The realization Chrystal had when she turned 40
- What Chrystal wants to make sure every mom knows
- The parenting advice Corrie Ten Boom gave Chuck Swindoll
- How to handle the shame or blame from those around us
- How to grow in confidence as a mother
- How to help and give grace to new moms
- How knowing the commonalities between ages 2, 12, 20 helps you parent better
- How to be the compassionate counselor to your children
- How to calmly set boundaries and appropriately direct emotions
- What God can accomplish and inspire you through prayer
- The impact of how your face communicates acceptance
- Three final tips Chrystal wants moms to know
Connect with Chrystal:
- Chrystal on Ep 172 “Rescuing the Girl Inside You”
- Chrystal’s Chronicles Podcast
- “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” James 1:5
- Toni Morrison on Oprah (video below. . .if reading via email click here)
What are your top 3 mom strengths?
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes:GodCenteredMom.com/review