We know that God’s word is living and active. Today’s guest Jodie Berndt takes us through using Bible verses as prayers that can powerfully influence your children’s lives.
There is so much encouragement in this episode for standing on the truth of God’s word and relying on scripture to help shape your children, teens and adult children. Of course, we as moms can’t help but be changed when we hide his word in our hearts and pray them over our family.
We know that he is a loving God who knows our needs and our kids’ needs better than we know them. So when we lift our children to him and surrender them, he’s going to do for them what he knows they need. It might not be necessarily in the timing or the ways that he would’ve ordained, but in Isaiah 55 it says that his ways are higher and better than our ways. When we come to believe that, it can really bring peace to our lives.
What we chat about:
- Using God’s word for prayers is powerful.
- There isn’t a need we’ll face in parenting that God hasn’t provided for in his word.
- Specific scriptures to pray for your child’s salvation
- Asking God what we can nurture and pray for in each child’s unique giftings
- God will accomplish the changes in your child’s character. Our job is to partner with him.
- Praying against fear and for protection
- Asking God to shape your children into good friends
- Processing popular media with your kids and discussing how it aligns or doesn’t align with a Godly world view
- The power of having others pray for your kids in community
- When prayers aren’t answered the way we want, God is still writing their stories.
- Free resources available at https://jodieberndt.com/resources
Connect with Jodie:
- Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- John 15:7 - If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
- Psalm 121:7-8 - The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
- Acts 26:18 - Open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here!
- Colossians 3:12 - Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
- Philippians 2:13 - for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
- Psalm 91:11 - For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;
- Proverbs 17:17 - Shape my child into a friend who loves at all times
- Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
- Proverbs 16:28 - A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.
**Amazon affiliate link, with no additional cost to you, a portion of your purchase will go to support the production of this show.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.