From the American dream of finishing college, getting married and buying their first home to the financial nightmare of being unable to sell the home or make enough money each month support their growing family, Erin Odom boldly shares her family’s story of hitting financial rock bottom.
We were told our whole lives you work really hard in school, go to college and get a degree and you’re set. You won’t ever struggle. Well, that didn’t prove true for us.
But through it all, God weaved a story of such abundant grace. Listen as Erin shares her heart for getting free from financial frustrations with practical ideas for earning money and managing it well. She also shares a lot of wisdom about avoiding the comparison trap, breaking free from discontentment and working through challenging moments in her marriage.
What we chat about:
- Erin’s story of hitting financial rock bottom.
- The humbling experience of needing to apply for aid.
- The practicals of buying a house vs. renting and other big financial purchases.
- Budgeting, saving and spending within your family’s means.
- The implications of social media on finances and trying to keep up with families around us.
- 57% of families have jobs that don’t pay enough to support them.
- Recommendations for faith-based financial planning classes.
- The power of discovering the root cause of financial frustration.
- Ideas and recommendations for using your God-given talents to make extra money.
- The stress of walking through the foreclosure process on Erin’s first home.
- Declaring bankruptcy from the debt that had weighed on Erin’s family for years.
- God’s abundant grace in the midst of humbling process of bankruptcy.
- Gratitude stills discontentment.
- Nothing can separate you from God’s love… not financial problems, not shame, nothing!
- How to get Erin's book if you are financially strained and can't afford it.
Connect with Erin:
**Amazon affiliate link: small percentage of your purchase goes to supporting this podcast, at no additional cost to you.
Featured Sponsor: Paul David Tripp Ministries
Don't miss the opportunity to watch best-selling and award-winning author Paul David Tripp teach on Parenting: Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family.
This event is streaming live on September 29-30 and available for unlimited, on-demand replay until October 31. Streaming licenses are available for purchase for individuals, small groups, and entire churches. With your license, you can:
- Stream the event as it happens from any device on Friday, September 29 (from 7pm - 10pm EDT) and Saturday, September 30 (from 9am - 12pm EDT)
- Restart the live video stream from the beginning when its convenient for you, your group, and your time zone
- Replay the four, 90-minute-long event sessions as many times as you want through October 31, 2017
Ready to invest in your parenting? CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE A STREAMING LICENSE. And get 5% off the license using coupon code: GCM!!
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.