We live in a world that loves to be noticed. As we go through our days in motherhood, we often long for validation, belonging and to be seen as valuable. But the majority of our moments are unseen and sometimes we spend whole seasons feeling unnoticed and unappreciated.
My guest Sara Hagerty shares wisdom on how to find contentment when we feel hidden and why God’s eyes are the ones that matter most.
“There is actually an invitation to have God’s eyes on me right now– in my laundry room and chopping onions at the kitchen counter and 8 hours of the day that are undocumented. He’s documenting them. He’s seeing them and actually wants to dialogue with me.”
What we chat about:
- Sara’s family make-up (4 adopted kids and 2 biological) and her previous GCM episode #143, “Every Bitter Thing is Sweet”
- The roots of feeling unseen in motherhood and how we often obsess over our day-to-day weaknesses and failures
- God’s response to weakness is 2 Corinthians 12:9— But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
- Inviting God and his Word into moments beyond our quiet times in the morning
- Searching for validation other places– social media, our kids’ fruit and outside ministries
- How it’s easy to feel resentment in motherhood from feeling unseen and misjudged
- Matthew 6:4b— Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
- The power of asking what is important to God and how does He see me in this unseen moment?
- Adoration of God through His word in our places of frustration and falling short
- Psalm 139:1 — You have searched me, Lord, and you know me…
- There are so many things we can fill the “white space” in our day, but there’s always an invitation from God to be near to Him.
- Fasting from productivity to explore more deeply how God values us beyond what we can do or produce
- God’s eyes are the only ones that have the right and perfect evaluation of any given moment and his opinion is the only one that matters
“Ask me what I’m thinking about you right now?”
Connect with Sara:
- Sara’s previous GCM episode #143, “Every Bitter Thing is Sweet”
- Sara’s book, Unseen**
- Unseen Book Trailer below (click here to watch if reading via email).
**Amazon affiliate link: small percentage of your purchase goes to supporting this podcast, at no additional cost to you.
Featured Sponsor: Paul David Tripp Ministries
Don’t miss the opportunity to watch best-selling and award-winning author Paul David Tripp teach on Parenting: Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family.
This event is streaming live on September 29-30 and available for unlimited, on-demand replay until October 31. Streaming licenses are available for purchase for individuals, small groups, and entire churches. With your license, you can:
– Stream the event as it happens from any device on Friday, September 29 (from 7pm – 10pm EDT) and Saturday, September 30 (from 9am – 12pm EDT)
– Restart the live video stream from the beginning when its convenient for you, your group, and your time zone
– Replay the four, 90-minute-long event sessions as many times as you want through October 31, 2017
Ready to invest in your parenting? CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE A STREAMING LICENSE. And get 5% off the license using coupon code: GCM!!
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.