Summer of Mentorship [Week Two] :: Bonni Greiner
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a parenting manual? A plan you could follow with an outcome of awesome adult children AND no regrets about how you raised them?
Well, in my opinion, today’s guest, Bonni Greiner, has practically done that for us.
Bonni is the mom to eight children. Yep, that’s some street cred right there. After all her experience, she’s written down 21 ways to lovingly parent your children without regrets. Through her words you find perspective on what’s important and what’s not. How to clear away the clutter of parenting advice and focus in on what has the biggest impact.
Most days I think, “there’s got to be an easier way!” Bonni refocused my eyes to see what extra burdens I’ve been carrying and what important moments I’ve been missing.
In this episode, Bonni shares her own struggles with overwhelm and lack of contentment in her motherhood. She also shares a pattern of angry parenting. But then she gives us practical ideas to connect with the hearts of our children. And a super practical way to help us stop yelling at our children. She also lays out their discipline strategy, a positive approach to developing men and women of Biblical character. Lastly, Bonni reminds us how to laugh more. And be the best mom by doing what we love and inviting our children to join us.
Since this episode originally aired in May of 2016, Bonni has released a new project. Helping parents train Godly character.
Check out Bonni’s newest book/series (click pic for more info):
AND they have an 8-week private Facebook group running to help support you in training your child in Godly character. The group started in Mid-June and runs to mid-August. But all past videos of Bonni’s wisdom are still available.
Connect with Bonni:
What we chat about:
- Bonni’s transition from a Jewish home to being wife to a Christian, pig farmer with four boys under the age of 5.
- The damage of comparing ourselves to what we think other moms are like.
- Bonni’s challenge of being an angry mom and strategies to help her yell less.
- Embracing the children God gave us.
- Basing love on who are children are in Christ Jesus not their performance.
- The Greiner Family “Six Non-negotiables” that led discipline decisions.
- Using positive affirmation to train family in the non-negotiables.
- Intentionally planning one-on-one time with each of your kiddos during the day and over the course of the year.
- When hugging and talking to your child you can hear their heart.
- Bonni’s system of “goaling backwards” in helping shape her child’s character and calling.
- Finding the humor in our day, accepting the fact that our children are childish at times (‘Let’s see the humor’).
- Doing what you love so that you are enjoying motherhood and your family is happier.
Podcast Club Discussion Questions:
- Bonni describes being and “angry mom.” Do you struggle with anger? Have you tried her solution of leaving the situation when you feel your anger rising and taking a moment to pray? Partner with another mom to check in on your progress of letting God take your anger.
- Think about your child(ren). In what ways can you love them based on the fact they are created in God’s image vs. their performance?
- Have you defined your family’s non-negotiables? Make a list of the traits you want to sow into your children. They don’t have to be the same as Bonni’s!
- Building in one-on-one time with each of your kids is important. Do you have a structure in place to have focused time with each of your kids and hear their hearts?
- Comparison is the thief of joy. What are some areas of parenting you find yourself comparing with other moms/families? Ask God to reveal where you can find places of joy in parenting and avoid the comparison trap.
- When is the last time you laughed with your kids? Find ways to be lighthearted and laugh with your family this week!
- September McCarthy Ep 15-Hope for the Struggling Mom
- Bonni’s Facebook–Live videos
- God Centered Mom archived post–> Best Behavior Modification Tool: Mommy Time
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.