Building the Family You Never Had :: Mary DeMuth [Ep 156]
“You end up duplicating what’s in your heart to your kids. Become the person you want your kids to become.”- Mary DeMuth
So simple. Become the person you want your kids to become.
In this week’s episode, you’ll hear the redemptive story of prolific author, Mary DeMuth. As the survivor of childhood sexual abuse, Mary has done the long, unselfish work of healing wounds. Motivated by the hearts and souls of her own children, in order to build the Christian family Mary desired, she started by working on her own broken soul places.
One of my favorite parts of our conversation is when Mary shares a simple phrase God asked her to repeat. And the supernatural mending God did in that moment.
I also loved how Mary looked to Jesus and his disciples when considering how to lead her kiddos to know God more. She taught me the new term “peripateo” and how it applies to our parenting.
And then this fabulous Truth nugget:
“Each of your kids will have their own story and re-story. To have joy today, you have to look realistically at today. Surrender where you are today. Surrender the outcomes to God today.”
What we chat about:
- Mary’s story of childhood sexual abuse and God’s restoration.
- The decades of “unselfish” healing and the power of prayer in her life.
- The gallons of fear going into building a Christian family she never knew.
- Mary’s insecurity about her mom’s love and desire for her own kids to feel loved.
- A moment God asked Mary to declare: “I am a good mom”.
- Side-by-side, conversational parenting with our kids inspired by Jesus with disciples.
- Pressing into Jesus in preparation for future trials and tribulation.
- Hope for the parents of children who have been sexually abused.
Connect with Mary DeMuth:
- Building the Christian Family You Never Had : A Practical Guide for Pioneer Parents by Mary DeMuth**
- You Can Raise Courageous and Confident Kids : Preparing Your Kids for the World They Live In by Mary DeMuth **
- If you want to read more of Mary’s personal story check out her excellent memoir: Thin Places.
- **Amazon Affiliate Link
Featured Sponsor: RadJoy
We often talk about “giving it to God” but so frequently we choose to carry the heavy loads of life. But with the Surrender Cross, as a gesture of prayer, asking God for release, you can write your burdens down and physically nail them to the cross. Experiencing joy each time you pass by this visual reminder of God’s love. Order your Surrender Cross today over at the RadJoy shop. And use the coupon code: “GodCentered15” to get 15% off your purchase.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.