Don't let the title scare you. Get ready to be encouraged and equipped in becoming an expert on sex (at least in the eyes of your children!). Going beyond one awkward "talk". And engaging in a series of age-appropriate conversations with your kids as they grow and develop.
If you haven't listened to my first convo with Mary Flo. . .here's the link: When to have "The Talk"? (Encore Episode). I'd recommend starting there. Because that episode sets the stage for today's chat about the "birds & bees" with Mary Flo & Megan.
In this episode we chat about:
- How to respond when a sexualized song is played in the Walmart?
- How to tell a better story than our culture.
- Using the "Beauty vs. Boundaries" concept when answering questions about sex.
- Help for talking to your kids about pornography and having an intentional response
- Planning a get-away weekend with your pre-pubescent child, when you would:
- define what makes a great friend (then lead into girl/boyfriend).
- define what love is.
- draw a timeline of their life, marking highlights that have happened and dreaming about what could happen. then focusing in on years 13-21.
Mary Flo and Megan have crafted a beautiful resource for parents on their site: Birds & Bees. Their curriculum would be perfect for a small group or couples to discuss together.
I've implemented this approach in our home. And felt prepared and confident when approaching the topic of sex with my boys. Praying it helps you with your children as well.
Connect with Birds&Bees:
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. JellyTelly is a safe place for children to experience fun and engaging entertainment while learning about God, the Bible, and faith. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Owlegories, Friends and Heroes, What’s in the Bible?, Theo, Whirl, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more! (browse the entire catalog here: https://www.jellytelly.com/whatson). Watch on iOS, Android, Kindle apps with a brand new Roku and Apple TV channels. 1 Month Free with coupon code mentioned in February GCM podcast episodes.
**Amazon Affiliate Link
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.