Parenting Small :: Shontell Brewer [Ep 140]
Small is the new huge.
With the ability to connect with anyone, anywhere in the world, feels like we’re more isolated and ineffective than ever. But what if we worried less about making a big impact. And focused more on doing the things in front of us with quality and depth?
I’m a big fan of today’s guest, Shontell Brewer. She’s a wise mom to five kiddos, ages 10 to 18. And she has an excellent sense of humor. More than that, she has discipled her children well to love and serve others around them.
Discipleship can be organic. Keeping your ministry small enough. To be present wherever God has placed you.
In this episode, Shontell and I talk about discipleship during dinner conversations. She shares her method of asking really specific questions. And giving her kiddos a challenge for the day to love others in tangible ways (e.g., encouraging a 4 year old to compliment his preschool teacher).
My most favorite thing we talk about is Taco Tuesday. The last Tuesday of the month, the Brewer family serves up meat & tortillas. They invite coaches, teachers, friends, neighbors (any one who interacts regularly with their kids) into their home.
We love on our community one taco at a time.
I shared the idea with my boys and they wanted to do it the next night (“Taco Tuesday, but on a Monday”). I’ll let you know how that goes. We may go the Pizza Friday route (love our community one slice at a time).
Shontell also inspired me to help open my boys’ spiritual eyes. And to encourage them to fight over who is going to put the other one first.
Featured Sponsor: Jelly Telly
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week’s show.
What we chat about:
- How women apologize for their carpet
- Keeping your ministry small
- Specific questions to ask during dinner time conversations
- How Shontell helped her daughter minister to her Starbucks’ manager
- Sending your kids to school with a basic challenge to bless someone
- Setting the habit of conversation and other family “norms”
- Learning to not be offended when our kids aren’t performing
- Parenting small with intimate corrective conversations
- The BEST idea to invite people into your home monthly–> Taco Tuesdays!
Connect with Shontell:
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.