10 Ways to Stop Meltdowns & Arguments :: Kirk Martin [Ep 139]
Got tantrums? Stuck in head-t0-head battles with your kiddos?
Good news. Calm parenting expert, Kirk Martin, is back on the show.
Not just to get behavior to change but to strengthen the relationship. To give us phrases and techniques to stay calm in stressful situations. To step back and allow our kids to step up in taking responsibility and solving problems.
After a fight we want our kids to “say sorry right now”. Kirk encourages us to:
Trust that we taught our kids the right thing. And believe our children will humble themselves to make it right.
This is my favorite conversation I’ve had with Kirk. We get deep into the heart behind our control issues. We narrow in on pride and shame (both in our kids and ourselves). He shares several helpful phrases to use in the heat of the moment. Ones I’ve had the “opportunity” to use several times this past week.
Featured Sponsor: Jelly Telly
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week’s show.
What we chat about:
- The phrase to use when your child is procrastinating.
- Recognizing the shame a child feels after a meltdown.
- An invitation for a child to transition out of a meltdown.
- Help for the child who struggles to admit fault.
- The intermingling of pride and shame.
- Leaving enough space and showing respect by letting our kids solve problems.
- Words to use when we see our kids are stressed/tired/overwhelmed.
- Less demeaning phrase to use than, “What were you thinking?”.
- Special discount code for GCM listeners for anything on Kirk’s site.
- How to get out of an argument with your child with one phrase.
- What to say when your teenager wants to do something you don’t think is a good idea.
Connect with Kirk:
- Previous episodes:
- Email Kirk directly to get “10 Secret Phrases to Calm Any Situation”: Kirk@celebratecalm.com
- Vela Tomba “Hula Hoop-o-logy”
- Live (free) Workshops
- 1-888-506-1871–Toll Free Number for Frustrated Parents
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.