You desire your children to walk with God. But how do you lead them to that place?
Is that only your husband’s job? What if you are a single mom or functionally single mom?
What about your role as a leader in your faith community? Should women leaders be gentle and quiet?
Today’s guest is Jen Wilkin, author of “None Like Him” and “Women of the Word”. She debunks some myths we believe about spiritual leadership, inside and outside of the home.
Her desire is for women to be grounded in the truth of God’s Word. To study with both their hearts and their minds. To know God and who He is. Then from knowing Him and His character see how He crafted us uniquely and our high worth in His eyes.
In this episode Jen and I chat about spiritual leadership. How we can expand the definition of what we think that means. How leading our children changes over the years. How her own single mom prayed fervently for her and for God to grow big in her life.
We also discuss how to be a spiritual leader in your community. How to manage that responsibility with humility and boldness. And how women need to not just see cute Instagram posts but know who God is from His Word.
Jen is not afraid to do some paradigm shifting. Her words in this episode reassured me in a few areas of misbelief I held. I know it will also free a lot of husbands to operate from their strengths and not be crushed under a burden they were never meant to carry.
Connect with Jen:
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week’s show.
What we chat about:
- Jen’s young mom journey with three kids in four years.
- The need for accountability and structure in studying the Bible as a young mom.
- How the Wilkins describe leading children spiritual–the differences over the years.
- Tips for the woman who is spiritually leading her children.
- Expanding the definition of “spiritual leader” in the home.
- Jen’s journey of spiritual growth with a single mom.
- Self-reflection asking “Am I stepping on people? Limiting the contribution of others?”
- How to be a woman in spiritual leadership/ministry.
- What do you do if women think you are more “spiritual” than them.
- How to be grounded in the Word and not cute, Instagram posts.
- What does it mean that God is transcendent.
**Amazon affiliate links
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.