By "your hoop" meaning your emotions, your choices, your attitude, etc. Because the only person you can control is you.
Recently, our small group started attending a recovery program. One week I learned about the damaging affects of "co-dependency". Relationships can be destroyed through a lack of concern with your own emotions/actions and an over-care and concern with others' emotions/actions. Their happiness = your happiness.
A few years ago, my pastor's wife, Vela Tomba, introduced me to the example of "hula-hoop-o-logy". She even wrote a series about it on the blog (read the series here). Then I brought her on the podcast to share more.
Vela has been married to Neil for more than 30 years, is the mom to three grown girls and grandmother to one adorable granddaughter. She served with Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru) before staying home full-time.
Honestly? Her thoughts on this topic have helped all (absolutely all) my relationships.
In this episode we discuss:
- What it means to stay in your "hula hoop"
- Why we need to stay out of others' hoops
- How to transition our children from our hoop (birth) to their own (jr. high-college)
- Physical hoop issues vs emotional hoop issues
- Whether or not it is a mom's job to make her kids happy
- Interacting with husband in light of "hula hoop-o-logy"--reflective listening
- Handling a variety of relationships with this mindset-->adult children & their spouses; grandchildren; extended family
- Difference between hula-hoops and "Boundaries"
- A Christian's responsibility to non-believers in relation to hoops
Do you struggle with staying out of others' hoops? Which relationship challenges you the most?
Kids fighting? Want a little peace and reconciliation in your home? (raising my hand. . .okay both hands!) Join me and check out Jim & Lynne Jackson's awesome Sibling Conflict Online Course. Their fabulous peace process will help you guide your children in conflict resolution and increase connectedness in your home.
If you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, you should sign up to come hear Andy Crouch speak about "What Rules Your Heart--The Journey from Image Making to Image Bearing" at our church, Northwest Bible Church, Wed. Aug. 31st and Thurs. Sept. 1st from 6:30 - 8:00pm. For FREE! (ticket costs donated by the Recovery for Life program). Sign up here to save a spot.