It's not a magic formula. But almost.
This week's guest is Dr. Emerson Eggerichs (New York Times Best Selling author of "Love & Respect"). He has opened my eyes to the high value of respect with boys & men with his newest book, "Mother and Son: The Respect Effect**". 'Game changer.
With this new "respect effect" perspective, interactions with my boys have changed. Before a word comes out of my mouth I'm evaluating if the tone is positive and the correction is focused on the behavior and not the person. I've also noticed how I alter what I say when helping them get along with one another (e.g., "Are you respecting your brother when you take the toy he is playing with?").
I know, I know. A few weeks ago I published a parenting boys episode. I promise an interview with Sissy Goff is in the works, to help moms with girls (she leads a camp all summer. . .so we'll be chatting in the Fall). But just like with the other parenting boys episode, whether you have sons or daughters, after listening you will understand your husband better. That's a very good thing.
And I know, I know, I share several books on the podcast. Each of my guests is selected with a lot of thought and consideration. Deciding to only introduce you to books that I would want to read myself. But this book sits at the top of the summer reading list. Seriously. (Just ask all my friends which book they see me toting around and talking about this month ;) ).
Connect with Emerson:
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week's show.
What we chat about:
- How the popular "Love & Respect" message applies to mother & son relationships.
- Recognizing that honor motivates men (and our boys).
- How teen girls respond differently than teen boys to a mom's critique.
- A great definition of "respect".
- How to hold boundaries with our boys, but still respect their spirits.
- A specific example of how to apply "respect talk" with your boys.
- How this respect effect can be applied by teachers in the classroom.
- Using the acronym "CHAIRS" to identify areas you can use respect talk.
- How it's never to late to start.
**Amazon affiliate links
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.