When I go to bed, the next day's plans are made trusting the sun will rise, as it does every morning. Without conscience thought, I believe in it's faithful presence.
Because of this rhythm of life (and others like it) I can wrongly assume each day will continue to be the same. I can take relationships and moments for granted.
Then when a tragedy comes my way, a spirit of fear often follows close beside. The "what if" has entered the picture and I struggle to shake a fear of what could happen.
In Lisa Appelo's case, in June of 2011 she went to bed with her husband of 26 years and was awakened by the sounds of him having a fatal heart attack.
With one of her worst fears realized, Lisa learned to lean on her faithful God. By fighting fear with God's promises, she moved forward in the life He has called her--a life of loving and training her seven beautiful children (and daughter-in-law).
In this episode Lisa shares her story, but more importantly she shares her faith. Then she disciples us in taking thoughts captive, holding them up to the truth of Christ. At the end of the episode I beg Lisa to share some mommy wisdom with me.
But this is the main deal, y'all...
We have put our trust in a God who declares himself to be faithful. It's not that He chooses to be faithful to us. It is His very character. . . He is faithful. He can be nothing else to us. -Lisa Appelo
Thank you all for your kind emails, comments, texts regarding my dad. God has been good to minister to my heart in deep ways and I'm seeing the fruit of sharing my burden with the body of Christ.
What we chat about:
- How Lisa's world changed the Summer of 2011
- What the end of a marriage covenant looks like
- How God blesses us when we obey His simple promptings
- What encouragement Lisa would give to a young woman in a hard marriage season
- How to fight fear considering Proverbs 31 & 2 Corinthians 10:5
- How do you know God is faithful when your husband passes away
- What's one thing Lisa's learned boys need
- What regular family Bible reading routine helped Lisa in her parenting
- Lisa's awesome idea for dividing up home responsibilities
- How the body of Christ comes together to help care for widows & single moms
Connect with Lisa:
Site :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Pinterest
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes:GodCenteredMom.com/review