“You don’t leave your child behind. It’s a universal truth; we put them on the lifeboat first, we pass them out of burning buildings, we give them the last slice of bread.
But when you give birth to a micro-preemie, you acquiesce to sit in the wheelchair alone. . .
You don’t have balloons, and you don’t have a baby, and you used to have faith, but as they gently force you into the front seat of the car, you wonder idly if that is going to fail you too.”
–Kayla Aimee, Anchored
Moms want to get motherhood right.
We have images of how things should go and we put loads of pressure on ourselves to match those pictures.
But time and time again life reminds us how out-of-control this parenting gig is.
For today’s podcast guest, Kayla Aimee, her faith was tested at 24 weeks gestation, when she went into labor. Her daughter, Scarlette, weighed one-and-a-half pounds at birth. Kayla spent the next six months visiting her daughter in the NICU measuring days one heart beat at a time.
In her new book, Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected, Kayla crafts an engaging memoir. I laughed out loud at parts while holding back tears the next moment.
Kayla and I talk a bit about her shocking birth story in today’s episode. She also shares some of her faith journey and what she learned searching for hope in the smallest ways.
(Pst…and in case you were wondering, Scarlette is doing great…)
What we chat about:
- Kayla’s journey through infertility
- What happened at 24 weeks while pregnant with her daughter Scarlette
- How Magnesium Sulfate led Kayla to see dancing hot dogs & pray for the salvation of the world.
- The challenging details of Scarlette’s birth and the month of not holding her daughter.
- How do you handle being discharged from the hospital without your baby
- What can community do to minister to parents with babies in the NICU.
- How to search for moments of hope when your child is in the hospital for 156 days.
- What do we do when we feel our faith isn’t strong enough for our situation
Connect with Kayla:
Site :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Pinterest :: Instagram
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes:GodCenteredMom.com/review