You and I want to be good moms sooooo badly.
And yet, the desire to be good and perfect frequently sabotages our goal.
You and I know we should show ourselves, and our kids, grace.
And yet, we struggle to understand what grace truly looks like.
You and I want our children to follow Christ.
And yet, our striving to force them to have the fruit of the Spirit gets in the way of God's Spirit shaping their hearts.
Today's guest, Jeannie Cunnion, understands the struggle I just described. And she shares what she's learned about the danger of shame, the lie of perfectionism, and the joy of grace.
Jeannie knows grace and describes the day-to-day reality better than anyone I've heard. In this episode I specifically ask how to be kind to myself and how to discipline my boys with grace.
My prayer is you and I gain a little more freedom, ready to walk in the Truth of all God has done for us.
(Please check out Jeannie's new website!! simply gorgeous. AND check out the FREE first chapter of her book. AND a free group study guide. Grace right there.)
What we talk about:
- The perfectionism which led to Jeannie writing her book, "Parenting the Wholehearted Child"
"Had to stop trying be to God what Jesus had already been for me."-Jeannie
- The problem of letting our identities get wrapped up in what kind of mom we are.
- How we should believe God's grace is bigger than our mistakes and how our weaknesses reveal His power.
- Showing our kids that when we fail, God never will. He is faithful and ever-present.
- Heather asks how to show grace when boys are fighting with one another. --day-to-day reality of showing grace
- Difference between balancing grace & discipline and weaving grace into instruction.
- "As I approach my children, see the Cross between us."
- What, Why, How & Now Discipline--
- What just happened
- Why did it happen
- How could you have done that differently
- Now--consequence or mercy moment
- "Making our kids feel bad won't make them be good."
- How much obedience do we expect & how quickly do we expect it--the R & R principal.
- Importance of maintaining relationship through discipline & instruction.
- Looking at God's true character & how He loves us in how we love our children.
Connect with Jeannie:
Blog :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Pinterest :: Instagram
- Jeannie's interview with Kat Lee--Inspired to Action Podcast
- "The Greatest Gift"--Ann Voskamp
- Brennan Manning--radically loved & accepted child of God
- Hebrews 12:2 --"looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith." (the verse doesn't say, 'keep your eyes on Jesus and you perfect your faith').
- Hebrews 12:6--"Lord disciplines those He loves. . ."
- Romans 8:1 -- "There is therefore now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus."
- Scott Turansky
- Paul Tripp quote: "Parenting is a gracious rescue."
How can you show your kids the Gospel today?
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes:GodCenteredMom.com/review