A harsh word thrown across the table by one brother led to an all-out verbal war in the midst of the mashed potatoes. Not quite the family dinner I pictured. So I jumped in with the lecture (and a side of guilt). . .blank stares greeted me.
If you missed it, don't worry, tomorrow night we'll be back again for the next performance of "life around the table" (don't forget to tip your waitress).
anyone else relate?
I love and care and serve my children. My heart longs for them to live their best lives. To stay on the path of life and pursue God whole-heartedly.
But my lectures and my training can only go so far.
"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." (Romans 8:14)
Ultimately, they need to be led by the Holy Spirit, to hunger and thirst for righteousness, and to be called sons of God.
All of these things made possible through a knowledge of God's Word & the way of salvation.
Today's guest, Caroline Boykin, guides us on how to help plant seeds of Truth in our children's hearts. Through fun activities and a foolproof way to get your kids to ask YOU to work on memorizing Scripture, this podcast could change the course of your children's lives and your family dynamics.
Right after I recorded this episode there was another 'opportunity' to use the first verse she mentions. . ."harsh words stir up anger, but a gentle answer turns away wrath".
After re-training the older boys and teaching my 5 year old, I saw improvements in their interactions that afternoon (not "fixed" by any means. . . . but better). When the harshness started flying again it only took a quick reminder to readjust their attitudes & words.
Maybe our dinner tonight will look a little different. Thank you, Caroline!
AND in honor of Christmas, we are giving away a copy of the newest edition of her book, "The Well-Versed Family". . .to be released January 2015.
Just comment below to be entered to win. Giveaway ends December 16th. Winner announced December 17th. Book to be delivered once it is released.
What we chat about:
- Why Caroline loves her newest hobby of bee keeping.
- Who first introduced Caroline to God's Word.
- The Barbie Battle that led Caroline to teaching her own daughters Scripture memory
- "A harsh word stirs up anger, a gentle word turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1
- Letting God's Word train, instead of lecturing.
- Learn, Link & Live method.
- "Early Scripture memory is the single most effective life shaping tool in a parent's toolbox." -Joe White (Kanakuk Camps)
- How Caroline picked the verses she included in her book, Well-Versed Family
- How do you decide which verses to teach your children first
- Foolproof approach to Bible Memory!! (SUCH a great idea)
- "If you take care of the minutes, the years take care of themselves"- Benjamin Franklin
- Dawson Trotman's "last thought, first thought" theory of the power of the last thing you hear before falling asleep.
- Three fun Scripture memory activities you can do with your kids
Connect with Caroline:
Blog :: Book (new edition - Jan 2015) :: Twitter
Did you memorize Scripture as a child? If so, what verse comes to mind most often? If not, what verse do you want your children to know?
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes: