A couple of years ago my son recited John 1:1-5 for the school Christmas chapel and I’ll never forget how dramatically he spoke these lines:
“In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (John 1:4-5)
The light shines in the darkness.
“Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.'” John 18:12
Following Jesus is not just walking in the light but having the Light.
“You are the light of the world. . . Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14a & 16)
More than anything I long for my boys to know the Source of the Light and shine for His glory.
Thankfully, my podcast guest today, Courtney DeFeo, helps make my desire a reality.
In this episode she shares three different ways to help our kids grasp God’s heart, walk in the Light and shine for Him.
AND she is giving away a copy of her new book, “In This House We will Giggle”. . .enter to win one of two ways:
- Encourage Courtney in the work she is doing OR
- Leave a review on iTunes so more moms can find the podcast and be lifted up
Either way, comment below (click here if reading via email). GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED.
What we chat about:
- How a Christmas rant blog post led to the Light ‘Em Up movement
- Her goal to create something easy for moms to add into a busy season and simply enough for young children to participate
- Who her family decided to display generosity
- Heather’s personal story of doing Light Em Up with her kids (her husband wasn’t in London. . .he was duck hunting. same thing, right?)
- An idea to involve your kids in the planning process
- The story behind her ABC Scripture Cards
- What motivated the verses she chose
- The heart behind her new book, “In This House We will Giggle”.
- How the book is structured to help moms creatively show kids Godly virtues–who Jesus really is.
- Why Courtney got so dressed up for our phone interview
- This verse of encouragement:
Answer me quickly, Lord; my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit.
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:7-8
Connect with Courtney:
Website :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Instagram :: Pinterest
What random act of kindness could your family do this Christmas to shine a light for His glory?
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
**Check out this page for instructions on how to leave a rating or review on iTunes: GodCenteredMom.com/review